Thursday, July 14, 2011

When Did THAT Happen?

I had this huge realization the other day.  Someone asked me how old my parents were.  I said that my mom was in her 40's and my dad was in his 50's.  They thought for a minute and then asked how that was possible (I'll be 35 in a couple of months).  So I had to sit down and actually do the math in my head.  I realized that my Dad turned 60 this year (which I then remembered that I DID know that on his birthday) and that my Mom will be 56 next month!  I have no idea when this happened!!

The sad thing is, this shouldn't surprise me.  About a month ago I was looking in the mirror and decided that I needed to add some anti-aging products to my skin routine.  The fine lines on my face aren't going away and I don't want them to get deeper.  My husband has a REALLY deep wrinkle that I haven't had the heart to tell him about (you know that one that appears between your eyes?).  Sure he see's it everyday when he looks in the mirror, but he probably doesn't realize that it's a wrinkle.  Just like he doesn't see the gray hairs on his head and doesn't see the area of thinning hair on his head increasing.

I think the reason getting older has crept up on me is because when I was a kid, this isn't how I imagined being an adult would feel like.  My friends and I used to play house all the time.  The girls would put balls up their shirts pretending they were breasts, because you know all adult females have huge, ball shaped breasts.  The boys were the husbands that faithfully went off to work and of course us girls were SAHM's, because that's what OUR moms were (don't I wish!).  The thing is, we always imagined that as adults, we had everything figured out and always knew the right answers and what the right thing to do was.  I never imagined that as an adult you could have as many problems as you did as a kid.

Obviously as you grow, you issues become more "grown up"...Over the past year I lost a friendship (actually realized that we REALLY haven't been friends for about 3 years), tried (unsuccessfully) to switch jobs, had some hard decisions to make regarding Buddy's schooling, dealt with depression/anxiety in both myself AND Dearest Hubby, had a very real health scare...the list goes on.  More recently, I realized that I have to make peace with the fact that I will probably never have another baby.  This has been the hardest...

And I know we all feel the same way.  If only our older selves could impart some wisdom to our younger selves, life would be so much easier, right?  Or maybe not...

Well, off I go now to figure out what to do with the kids today.  It's NOT 80 gagillion degrees, so we can actually do something outside without getting heat stroke.  Have a good one!


5 comments:

  1. Oh I so loved that post. Every sentence I was like- Yep...Uh huh...True, True...Glad I found you on Twitter! My biggest grown up moment was the realization that I too will not have another baby. Check out my post about the same...
    Cindy
    http://cute-ecakes.blogspot.com/2011/06/once-upon-time-i-had-baby.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you on MBC. Good post - thought provoking. I write young adult fiction so even though my teenage years are long past - I never quite think of myself as completely grown up.
    http://codyyoungblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I was actually afraid that I was rambling. LOL I'm so glad to hear that you understand exactly what I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going 35, no wrinkles yet on my face, except when I smile, somewhere in my eyes. People think I look far younger than my age. But I have the same worries of aging, and then I realized... hey, we don't grow old, but it's normal to have wrinkles at some point of our lives... that is why treasure each little happiness you have each day - because it will brighten up your day longer than you thought!

    Stumbled upon your lovely blog and following it. You may also visit Olah Momma!, or add your website and deals (coupons/giveaways),  and meet more moms at Momma's Lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still in my twenties but I know that life definitely isn't what I expect it would have been when I was young.

    It seems almost everyday I realise something that I am taking for granted; the days just seem to fly by and situations just sneak up on you.

    There is no quick fix, no magic words and seldom does any advice help. You just have to keep trying and pray it all works out.

    Wishing you and yours the best. Take care.

    ReplyDelete